Summer Time Healthy Eating
Summer is here! The weather could do with improving a bit but hey its time to hit the outdoors, stop the soups and stews and start thinking about picnics, salads and cold drinks!
One salad recipe which has been really popular in the granary these past few weeks is a very simple broad bean, pea, caramelized onion, mint & feta salad. It’s yummy with cold meats or as part of a grain bowl selection (more about these in a later post)
- Broad Beans (fresh or frozen) – 400g
- Petit Poit Peas – 300g
- Mint leaves – bunch
- Red Onions – 1
- Lemons – 1 for juice
- Feta Cheese – 100g
- Cider Vinegar – dash
- Olive Oil
- Basil Pesto Oil
- Cook the broad beans & peas in boiling water for approx. 3 minutes. Drain and put in ice bath
- Quarter the red onions, drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Place in oven at 160 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Tear the mint leaves by hand and mix with the beans and peas
- Grate the lemons and add the rind to the beans
- Cut the feta cheese into uneven big chunks and mix into the salad
- Mix the vinegar with the olive oil to form a vinegerette mix into salad
- Drizzle bail pesto on top of the salad and mix well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if required.